One of Ai’s most well-known times of year comes in October when we hold our annual Halloween costume exchange. The workday will be as typical as any Friday, but with a holiday twist…
Candy everywhere? Check.
Office Decorations? Check.
All things black and orange? Check.
Costumes? Check. But, not your own – your “victim’s”!
Here’s how things go down leading up to October 31st at the Ai office:
- Everyone’s name goes into a bowl
- Each person picks a name from the bowl
- The name you pick is your secret victim
- You ponder ideas of what you can come up with for a costume for your victim (the costume must be in good taste and keep your victim’s personality in mind)
- You try not to slip and tell anyone who you chose, but we all know the word gets out to a few
- You choose a costume for your victim (hand made or store bought)
Early during the week of Halloween:
- We gather as a company at the Sofaplex to exchange costumes
- One person starts us off and reveals who their victim is, the costume that has been chosen for said victim, and the rationale behind the costume choice
- The victim then continues the process by sharing who they chose, and so on…
The day of Halloween:
- The day usually starts out with people walking into the office in costume and therefore tons of laughs and photo-ops
- Scheduled meetings and calls happen as planned, but there’s never a giggle too distant
- At lunch time we have a pizza party
- Once we’ve digested we finish off the afternoon with a parade in Madison Square Park to share our costumes with the rest of the Flatiron District
- An hour before the work day comes to a close, we end the day with a Halloween-themed office happy hour
- Finally, once we power down our machines and call it a day, we stay in costume and head out for a night on the town in costume
To get a feel for what Halloween has been like for someone who has participated in this Ai tradition over the past seven years, check out the images below.
2008: HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY MASCOT
2009: WAS OOO THIS YEAR.
2010: PINK LADY FROM GREASE
2011: RICHARD SIMMONS
2012: MORTICIA ADDAMS
Why do we all find this so fun? Because I absolutely never would have been any of the characters above for Halloween unless someone else picked out the costumes for me. Richard Simmons? I mean, come on.